I was looking around for more ideas for my Christmas gift list and found this “How To Make Jean Slippers” over at wikiHow. I love the way these look so I thought I would try them out. I have this great pair of jeans with rhinestones on the back pockets and they would be perfect for a fun pair of slippers. Gather up your old holey jeans and try this DIY craft for some awesome one-of-a-kind Christmas gifts.
- Pair of Jeans
- Tracing paper
- 1/2 yard of 1/2 inch thick foam
- puffy fabric paint
- measuring tape
- Slide your feet into the back pockets of the jeans. The pockets should fit your feet comfortably. Cut the pockets off and trim any extra fabric from the inside.
- Measure the length of the bottom of your foot and add 1 inch. Measure the width of your foot and add 1 inch. Using these measurements, draw a rectangle on tracing paper. Cut it out and round off the corners. This is your pattern for the soles of the slippers.
- To make the soles, trace around the pattern twice onto the foam and four times onto some denim from the jeans. Cut these pieces out.
- Sandwich a piece of foam between two pieces of denim. Pin the pieces together. Do the same with the other pieces.
- Lay one pocket on each sole so the bottom of the pocket is at the top of the sole. Pin the pockets to the soles lining up the outside egdes as neatly as you can.
- Sew around the outside edge of each slipper 1/2 inch form the edge. Remove the pins.
- Using puffy paint draw squiggly lines on the bottom of of each slipper to make them nonslip. Allow to dry.
Here is the pair I made! Now they don’t look as good as the ones from the wikiHow site but it was my first pair. I think I will be making a few more pairs of these.
Recycle your old jeans into some slippers and send me photos, I would love to see some more variations to this great project. And I will stick the photos on this site, for all to see!